Few weeks ago I’ve been contacted from Packt Publishing in order to review their new book Magento Beginners Guide and because I had experience with that e-commerce platform, I decided to accept the offer.
Magento Beginners Guide is a new book that covers the process of building an online store using the Magento e-commerce solution. It’s written by William Rice and is focused on the main key features of Magento to setup a unique on-line store and customize its appearance with the help of examples.
This book is for anyone who wants to create an online store using Magento. If you are a non-technical person and are discouraged by the complexity of this powerful e-commerce application, this book is ideal for you.
Magento is the world’s most evolved e-commerce solution which runs on the Apache/MySQL/PHP platform. From one installation, you can control multiple multilingual storefronts, all sharing customer and product information. Magento’s templates, themes and extensions gives the possibility to create an unique and powerful solution for e-commerce.
The book provides a step-by-step approach to building a simple and effective on-line store. It covers the key features of Magento that will help you get your store up and running. It guides you through the installation, configuration, adding categories and product attributes, filling your store with products from various types, payment configuration, maintaining relationships with your customers, and fulfilling orders.
Readers will be able to present and sell products in groups, sets, they can offer discounts based on quantities along with accepting various payments such as PayPal, CC, Checks, Bank transfers, Payment on delivery and many other payment gateways. Along with connecting to shippers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS they will learn to apply tax rules to different shipping addresses and different types of products.
More on what you will learn from the book
- Install and configure Magento and add products in the store;
- Create categories and attributes to build your catalog of products;
- Enhance your products with descriptions, images, and inventory information;
- Create and apply tax rules to different product types and different shipment addresses;
- Present and sell products in groups and sets;
- Display products related to the one that is being viewed by a customer;
- Offer your customer choices for a product’s size, color, or other attribute and give discounts based on quantities;
- Accept payments using Paypal, credit cards, and checks/money orders and offer a variety of shipping options;
- Create your own, customized shipping rates and connect to shippers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS;
The beginner’s guide approach
- Clear step-by-step instructions for the most useful tasks
- Learn by doing – start working wight away
- Leave out the boring bits
- Inspiring, realistic examples give you ideas for your own work
- Tasks and challenges to encourage experimentation
The publisher kindly provide two chapters from the book, so you can get a clue of the style in it.
How to buy that book?
If you like the book you can order it from here:
Magento: Beginner’s Guide
€27.89 save 10%